Careers with Mildura Regional Development
We currently have an exciting opportunity for someone interested in supporting and developing the tourism industry in the Mildura – Wentworth region. Be part of a small, vibrant team committed to getting the best outcomes for our great part of the world.
Please refer to the detailed position description below and email your application to:
Applications close 5pm, May 25th, 2018
The Tourism Industry Officer is responsible for developing, implementing and managing (MRD) Mildura Regional Development’s Tourism Industry Development Program across the Mildura and Wentworth LGAs.
• Facilitate development programs to benefit the tourism industry
• Develop tourism business capacity
MRD is a high-profile Regional Development Organisation which represents the tourism industry to government and consumers, a major component of MRD’s visitor economy development strategy is to help develop new product in the cultural, eco and adventure tourism space and more broadly, grow the region’s high value tourism market.
This position is a relationship development role and will be mainly based in the field and will involve your attendance at key meetings and workshops.
Core objectives include:
• Responsible for the development, implementation and management of MRD’s Tourism Industry Development Program
• Identify and apply for grants and funding for projects
• Coordinate and deliver the Australian Tourism Accreditation Program and manage programs to develop tourism business capacity, industry training, product development and high value market attraction
• Assist and advise local businesses and start-ups with new product development and provide research data
• Manage programs to develop tourism business capacity
• Facilitate industry training across the region
• Work with the new Aboriginal Women’s CO-OP to develop and launch a cultural trail
• Apply for funding via the Launch Vic Innovation Grant
• Work with the Aboriginal Women’s CO-OP to apply for funding / grants and assist with product development
• Train up and implement the Vic/ Fed accreditation program to the industry
• Sell advertising and sign up participants in the Official Visitor’s Guide
• Facilitate a program of workshops to educate industry and encourage product development
• Work with industry to identify and develop partnership opportunities in terms of resource sharing and product development.
• Explore the value in forming a visitor economy consultative committee of some kind and running regular meetings with identified outcomes
Sponsors and Stakeholders
• Develop and maintain relationships with associated industry sector businesses
• Develop and maintain business partnerships with organisations, stakeholders, educators and investors
• Identify, and assist new tourism related or support businesses in terms of partnerships, new product development and training and education opportunities
Industry Servicing and Relationships
• Build and maintain effective working relationships with local business, Murray Regional Tourism, Visit Victoria, Australian Tourism Industry Council, local government, other development commissions, industry groups and other stakeholders
• Provide representation, support and advice to stakeholders and members,
• Referring relevant matters to the CEO where appropriate
• Represent MRD and provide industry updates/presentations at relevant industry functions/events/workshops/forums
Industry Development Program
• Develop and oversee all aspects of the implementation of the Industry Development Plan
• Ensure the Industry Development programs meet the needs of the regional tourism industry
• Represent MRD and report to key stakeholders as required
• Work with local industry, entrepreneurs and start-ups to develop new product and market segments as identified in the strategic plan as directed by the CEO
• Research market demands and align and work with industry to develop products to meet identified market demands.
• Oversee the management and implementation of the industry development training workshop program
• Deliver and facilitate training workshop courses as required
• Attend Murray Regional Tourism meetings and workshops
• Attend local tourism groups, as well as relevant state meetings
• Oversee the development and delivery of the Accreditation Business Plan and all operational aspects of the Australian Tourism Accreditation Program,
• Identify and implement other relevant programs or develop bespoke programs as required
• Oversee the ongoing maintenance, upgrading and development of the ATAP online program
Research and Statistics
• Assist with desktop research on tourism policy and industry issues as directed
• Prepare tourism reports using the International and National Visitor Survey database
• Search for and apply for identified grants via the various grants application process
• Manage grant contracts, reporting, invoicing and implementation of grants awarded to MRD
• Identify, target and secure business partners and sponsors
• Determine appropriate communications calendar to promote training workshops program to industry to ensure effective uptake
• Ensure accurate data entry and management of records in the CRM database
• Coordinate and prepare Operational Board Reports as directed
• Develop and deliver Tourism Networking functions
The above list is not exhaustive and the role may change to meet the overall objectives of the company.
Adherence to MRD strategies, objectives, plans and policies is critical
• Remain knowledgeable on the tourism industry, MRD’s policy and services
• Work effectively within the MRD team
• Attend MRD events as required
• Any other duties as required
• Must have a professional approach at all times
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Organisational and time management skills.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Analytical thinking
• Business awareness
• Strategic thinking
• Positive approach to change
• Qualifications in Business, Tourism or related discipline
• Experience within the tourism industry
• Tourism industry relationships, issues and networks
• Quality assurance or accreditation systems
• Knowledge of digital marketing techniques
• Knowledge of destination and/or product marketing
Skills & competencies
• Customer service focused: committed to providing exceptional customer service across all channels – written, phone and face to face
• Communication: the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, varying communication style depending upon the audience
• Attention to detail: excellent attention to detail and written skills when communicating with others, both internally and externally
• Commerciality: ability to apply knowledge in a practical, commercial manner
• Teamwork: willingness to assist and support others as required and get on with team members
• Time management/organisation: accomplish objectives effectively within time frame given, and carry out administrative duties within portfolio in an efficient and timely manner
• Professional approach
• Confident manner
• Positive approach to change
• Ability to work autonomously
• Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint essential
• Current driver’s license
• The role requires the ability to travel throughout the region and intra/ interstate on a regular basis.
This job description serves to illustrate the scope and responsibilities of the post and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties. You will be expected to perform other job-related tasks requested by management and as necessitated by the development of this role and the development of the business.