22 Aug Employment Opportunity: Tourism Marketing Manager
We’re seeking to fill a newly created, senior role as Tourism Marketing Manager within MRD. The incumbent will develop and deliver a range of effective tourism destination marketing, and industry initiatives specifically aimed at growing the region’s visitor economy, as well as developing the capabilities of new and existing tourism operators.
Tourism Marketing Manager
Chief Executive Officer
Mildura Regional Development (MRD) is responsible for driving Economic Development and Tourism across the Mildura region of North West Victoria. Within this charter sit the key Tourism roles of Destination Marketing plus Industry and Product Development.
The role of Tourism Marketing Manager is a newly-created senior position within MRD. The incumbent will develop and deliver a range of effective tourism destination marketing and industry initiatives specifically aimed at growing the region’s visitor economy as well as developing the capabilities of new and existing tourism operators.
Core objectives include:
- Implementation of the Tourism goals within the MRD Strategic Plan.
- Development and implementation of annual Marketing Action Plans. Activities include digital strategies and executions; public relations and media familiarisations; domestic and international trade marketing; collateral production; product and industry development; comprehensive market research; relevant collateral sales and advertising.
- Aligned with the above, preparation and administration MRD’s tourism marketing initiatives and budget; plus monitoring expenditure and results.
- Supervision of staff and resources associated with all tourism-related projects. Control of creative content for all print, digital and online materials; either self-producing or via external contractors. Oversee production of the region’s annual Official Visitor Guide.
- Responsible for the Visit Mildura tourism website, industry e-newsletters, and extensive social media updates. Develop and maintain a positive public image of the value of Tourism through community awareness and media activities.
- Sourcing of specific, targeted research to assist development of integrated marketing, advertising, media and public relations activities. Identify target-market visitor segments and demographics; monitor and adjust strategic activities accordingly.
- Preparation and execution of internal tourism promotion and marketing plans, including, but not limited to media and PR, advertising, trade shows and co-operative marketing projects.
- Close liaison with Murray Regional Tourism, the Victorian Tourism Industry Council, peak industry associations, local government and other key industry stakeholders covering both core and cross-over activities including events and visitor servicing.
- Management of Mildura Region’s tourism brand.
- Management of all day-to-day Tourism Marketing operations for MRD as directed by the CEO.
- Provision of strategic advice, including management reports and situation analysis, to the CEO and MRD Board as required.
Stakeholders, Sponsors and Grants
- Build and support co-operative partnerships with all tiers of Government and the local tourism industry, including the overlapping events, conferencing and visitor servicing sectors.
- Where applicable, identify and apply for grants and funding for projects via various grant application processes. Explore sponsorship possibilities where projects warrant key tourism partnership engagement.
Industry Servicing and Relationships
- Maintain and strengthen industry knowledge by attending relevant business conferences. Further establish professional networks via trade show and familiarization attendance including targeted media, travel industry and tour operator activities.
Research and Statistics
- Establish and maintain the best suite of tourism research data; monitor and use frequently to ensure an evidence-based approach to all marketing decisions and activities.
- The position is located in Mildura, however the role will require occasional overnight travel throughout Victoria and interstate.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and COMPETENCIES
- A demonstrated understanding of Regional Tourism including a proven track record in creating and implementing a wide range of successful destination marketing activities;
- Qualification in Tourism, Business Marketing or related discipline; or extensive proven tourism industry experience.
- Good understanding of Mildura Region’s key visitor experiences, industry structures and opportunities to grow new markets.
- Experience managing stand-alone as well as co-operative marketing campaigns, including tourism industry sales and business participation.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an environment with competing demands and priorities.
- Experience managing contractors, fee for service projects, committees, research projects plus integrated industry activities.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, manage and report against a comprehensive marketing budget.
- Ability to set, reach and exceed targets and consumer-based performance measures;
- High level knowledge of digital marketing and conversion methods, especially in the context of the tourism industry.
- Analytical thinking and a commitment to consumer-focused market research; Creative thinking and problem solving; ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and create solutions.
- Knowledge of creative design, photography and video.
- Proven staff management experience including supervision of employees.
- Commitment to developing, implementing and maintaining co-operative working relationships within MRD and externally with tourism businesses, industry associations, key stakeholders, local and state government; plus current and potential project partners.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills; ability to effectively present information and respond to valid stakeholder questions; excellent written and report-writing skills.
- A positive approach to the realities of corporate change and the need for continuous improvement.
- Ability to work within an office setting as well as on location as part of occasional travel throughout Victoria and interstate.
- Possession of a valid driver’s licence.
Applications for this position should be emailed to Ms Wendy Davison, email@example.com at Mildura Regional Development. Applications are due by c.o.b. Friday 6th September. Questions regarding the role can be directed to MRD CEO, Rod Trowbridge, phone 0499 110 420.